Robert Lopich is a director and principal of Collaborative Lawyers Pty Ltd (an incorporated legal practice operating as “Lopich Lawyers”), Mediate Today Pty Ltd and the Texas based Global Collaborative Law Council. He is a former member of the Board of Directors of the National Mediation Conference and is a past President of Collaborative Professionals (NSW) Inc. He is also a member of the Law Society of NSW, the Australian Dispute Resolution Association (ADRA).
Robert has in excess of 35 years of experience in providing high quality legal and dispute resolution services to his clients.
He is a mediator, conciliator, negotiator, facilitator and ADR trainer holding national accreditation under the National Mediator Accreditation System (NMAS) with Mediate Today Pty Ltd and the Law Society of New South Wales. He is a Collaborative Lawyer (Advanced Level) and Collaborative Law Trainer and has completed the Advanced Mediation Certificate with Bond University.
He has delivered papers on dispute resolution in Ireland, the USA and at National Mediation Conferences in Australia. He is also a frequent presenter for the NSW College of Law.
As a legal practitioner his practice covers a broad cross section of matters from commercial dispute resolution to the creation of easements and covenants affecting land, compulsory acquisition of land pursuant to the provisions of the Local Government Act, rezoning applications, residential and commercial land transactions including the subdivision of Council owned land for commercial and residential use, sale and purchase of residential and commercial land, commercial leases, various Deeds, Licenses and Agreements.
Robert also conducts a collaborative law practice in the areas of commercial and business matters, including disputes concerning partnerships and joint venturers, contractual issues, franchising, company directors, liability and warranty disputes, construction and building disputes, local government, planning and environmental issues, property development issues, commercial and residential property (including commercial and retail lease matters), and industrial and workplace relations.
- May 1986 – established Robert Lopich & Associates;
- August 1995 – Successfully tendered to provide legal services to the Australian Department of Transport, Airport Task Force;
- September 1995 – Lopich Lawyers commenced to practise in Canberra;
- June 2005 – Lopich Lawyers commenced to practise in Sydney;
- November 2011 – acquired alternative dispute resolution organisation, Mediate Today Pty Ltd.
Diploma in Law (S.A.B.) – University of Sydney, Law Extension Committee 1982
- Integrated Sustainability – University of Technology of Sydney, Centre for Local Government;
- Development Control – University of Technology of Sydney, Centre for Local Government;
- Mediation Certificate – Bond University, Dispute Resolution Centre;
- Certificate of Accreditation – Mediation Level 3, Business & Commercial Mediation, Australian Commercial Dispute Centre;
- Certificate of Accreditation – Mediation Level 3, Local Government Mediation, Australian Commercial Dispute Centre;
- Collaborative Law Practice Program – University of Technology of Sydney: Law Short Course, presented by Stuart Webb and Marion Korn;
- Advanced Mediation Skills Workshop – The Heart of Conflict: Advanced Skills for the Dispute Resolution Professional – presented by Bernie Mayer for LEADR;
- Advanced Mediation Certificate – Bond University, Dispute Resolution Centre;
- Certificate IV, Assessment and Workplace Training – The Illawarra Information Technology Centre;
- Workplace Dispute ADR Training – The Institute of Arbitrators & Mediators Australia;
- Collaborative Law Negotiation Skills – National Centre of Collaborative Law, presented by Dr Tom Altobelli;
- Advanced Collaborative Practice – University of Technology of Sydney, presented by Marion Korn;
- Advanced Collaborative Practice 2007 – University of Technology of Sydney, presented by Marion Korn;
- Advanced Strategies Workshop and Private Session Strategies Workshop – LEADR presented by Forrest (Woody) Mosten, April 2007;
- Narrative Mediation Training with Richard Jaffee Cohen, JD, July 2008;
- Training The Trainers Program – The International Academy of Collaborative Professionals, New Orleans, October 2008;
- Kongres 2009 – LEADR 10th Annual International Conference – September 2009;
- American Bar Association – Section of Dispute Resolution Spring Conference – April 2009;
- American Bar Association – Section of Dispute Resolution Spring Conference – April 2011;
- Kongres 2011 – LEADR 12th Annual International Conference – September 2011;
- Engaging the Public Controversy – with Peter Adler for LEADR – November 2011;
- American Bar Association – Section of Dispute Resolution Spring Conference – Spring 2012;
- “Appreciating Change” – Appreciative Inquiry training – with Sarah Lewis – November 2014;
- Mindfulness for Wellbeing and Peak Performance – Monash University – 2016
Professional Qualifications and Standing
- Admitted to practise as a solicitor in the Supreme Court of New South Wales, Federal Court of Australia and High Court of Australia in 1982;
- Admitted to practise as a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of the Australian Capital Territory in 1992;
- Holds a current unrestricted practising certificate as a legal practitioner;
- Nationally Accredited Mediator and member of LEADR;
- Office of the Franchising Mediation Adviser panel mediator;
- Produce and Grocery Industry Ombudsman panel mediator;
- Nationally Accredited Mediator and panel mediator for the Law Society of New South Wales;
- Accredited mediator in Local Government Mediation, Australian Commercial Dispute Centre;
- Accredited mediator in Business & Commercial Mediation, Australian Commercial Dispute Centre;
- Collaborative Lawyer (Advanced Level);
- Business & Commercial transactional matters;
- Residential and Commercial Property transactions (including Retail and Commercial Leases);
- Collaborative law – (Non-adversarial resolution of legal dispute);
- Appreciative Inquiry Consultant – (Change management and team building)
- Government Agencies and Local Government Code of Conduct review, investigation and conflict resolution;
- Mediation, facilitation and alternative dispute resolution – (helping clients to control of decisions and outcomes with due regard for all parties);
- Trainer – mediation & collaborative law (Training in both formal University settings and to individuals and firms);
- Advanced Mediation Skills Workshops – (“The Heart of Conflict: Advanced Skills for the Dispute Resolution Professional”)
- Conference Speaking – (key note or session facilitator on Collaborative Law, Mediation or alternative dispute resolution techniques and programs).
- National Mediation Conference Ltd (former Director);
- Collaborative Professionals (NSW) Inc. (past President);
- Global Collaborative Law Council (Director)
- Law Society of New South Wales;
- Law Society of New South Wales Panel of Mediators;
- Law Council of Australia – Business Law Section;
- Australian Dispute Resolution Association (ADRA);
- National Centre of Collaborative Law;
- Asia Pacific Mediation Forum.
Locations & Contact Details
Telephone: 1300 783 634
Email: [email protected]
3 Spring Street, Sydney, NSW, 2000
Ground Floor, 7 James Cook Parkway, Shell Cove, NSW, 2529.